Monday, February 14, 2011

So I had a plan, which is to say that my characters had a plan. If you're going to pull off a jailbreak on a distant asteroid, you need a plan.

And I built in a few "accidents" to add "complications" to the plot. Tried to make sure the characters looked surprised when they happened.

And then to justify a certain plot twist I added another "accident" which sounded like a good idea at the time.

But that "accident" has ramifications which are now bouncing all over the storyline... silly me, I was worried about things sounding too pat and well planned out. I suppose I ought to be panicking, but it's feeling like this is the way it ought to be. I shouldn't be too well prepared when we get down to the wire.

That might not sound strange to other writers, but I'm normally a well prepared writer. Now that I'm using Scrivener I can actually see how much I write in the way of notes. Out of curiosity, I added up all the outlines, scene notes and world-building I've done so far -- first draft isn't done yet -- and the notes are running a little more than half the current word count.

Something to be said here about balancing plans with spontaneity, about giving your characters some rein and trusting them... stay tuned.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...