Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Book report: Broken Slate

I haven't done one of these in a while, but I recently joined Goodreads and they give you the option of copy-pasting your review into your blog, so here goes:
 
Broken Slate Broken Slate by Kelly Jennings
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First rating on Goodreads... I feel obligated to say something.

I debated how many stars to give this. The characterization is intense, the world-building is solid and the dialogue flows smoothly. And the text is clean, so far as grammar and typos -- something I've come to value a lot since I started reading free e-samples.

But the plot. It moves at a rather glacial pace. At the end, it feels like this has all been set-up for the next part of the story. Which I would not mind seeing, by the way, dear author...

I read the free sample, which was a generous first half of the book, and at the end of the sample I could not have told you what Martin's goal was, aside from physical survival (which should not be under-rated, admittedly.) Yet I bought the second half, and I don't have much of a book budget these days.

No regrets. As I said, the characterization is intense. So I'm giving this four stars and hoping to see more from Ms. Jennings.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Bluestocking said...

This good to hear. I've perused the Crossed Genres site before and keep seeing Broken Slate, but didn't have a good idea of whether it was an epub experiment or an actual story worth reading. Glad to know someone else took the plunge and found it valuable.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...